Jul 9, 2007, 11:25 AM
Post #1 of 3
I'm trying to compile Perl 5.8.8 on Windows Vista using Win Vista SDK.
Compiling / Building Perl on Windows Vista
I checked Readme.win32 file to make some adjustments to Makefile under win32 directory.
I performed these steps to compile Perl for Windows Vista:
1) Changed the values of INST_DRV and INST_TOP to specify installation directory.
2) Configured ar value to 'link /lib' for config.vc file in win32 directory.
3) Compiled setargv.c to setargv.obj file and enabled USE_SETARGV option to include setargv in Perl binary distribution.
4) Changed CCTYPE option in Makefile to MSVC70FREE to enable Microsoft Win Vista SDK C/C++ compiler.
5) Downloaded fcrypt.c file from ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/crypt/mirrors/dsi/libdes/ site to top level perl directory, and changed CRYPT_SRC option to CRYPT_SRC = fcrypt.c .
6) Downloaded libdes.3.0.6.tar.gz file from same site as step 5, uncompressed file, and compiled source files into a lib file; then changed CRYPT_LIB option to CRYPT_LIB = libdes.lib .
7) Ran nmake tool from win32 directory (nmake /f Makefile), everything worked fine.
8) Tested binary files (nmake /f Makefile test), everything worked fine.
9) Installed binary distribution (nmake /f Makefile install).
10) When try to install binary distribution, an error occurs, html\*.* cannot be copied, to solve this issue I downloaded Perl documentation from http://perldoc.perl.org/ site; copied to win32\html directory; and binaries installation worked fine.
11) After binary installation finished, I can see few files in installation directory (perl.exe, perlglob.exe, wperl.exe, and minperl.exe). When try to run any exe file, an error occurs indicating that msvcrt80.dll is missing, but I noticed that perl's dll files are missing in installation directory.
12) I tried to use Perl top level directory where are all binary files that are "running without errors".
13) Now I'm trying to use Perl to compile OpenSSL 098e in windows; when try to perl Configure VC-WIN32 --prefix=c:/openssl/deploy, perl doesn't return output messages and returns empty output files, it seems like perl isn't doing anything. I supposed that maybe crypto files / libraries were wrong, then rebuild perl using cryptopp (http://www.cryptopp.com/) in CRYPT_LIB (CRYPT_LIB = cryptopp.lib) option in Perl's Makefile under win32 directory to use another cryptography library to have different outputs, but I have same results.
I think that I missing something, maybe a dependency, change a makefile option, etc. But I don't know what could be wrong.
These are my resources:
- Windows Vista Ultimate.
- Windows Vista SDK 6.0.
- Perl Source Distribution version 5.8.8 from http://www.perl.com/download.csp.
- fcrypt.c file from ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/crypt/mirrors/dsi/libdes/ site.
- Libdes cryptography library from ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/crypt/mirrors/dsi/libdes/ site.
- Crypto++ library from http://www.cryptopp.com/ site.
Also noticed that date of cryptography files is too old (October 1993, 1994).
I appreciate some help.