Aug 15, 2000, 10:10 AM
Post #4 of 19
[unrelated comment snipped by Admin -- kids, play nice ]
As for your other claim, you're obviously clueless there as well. amazon does NOT use perl and cgi. I'm not sure exactly what language it uses (/exec/obidos is in the url), but there is NO WAY IN HELL that they use CGI. CGI is SLOW. Period. CGI is slow. Say it again. You got that? CGI is slow. If you didn't know this you obviously have done no real world programming. CGI is slow. Last time. CGI spawns a process with every hit. Instead we have technologies such as mod_perl and perlis and other such goodies to build perl into the server. cgi can only be used in relatively LOW traffic situations.
okay, now lets take a look at java. we're not going to look at applets. applets and cgi scripts have a different purpose. comparing the two is stupid and pointless. a java servlet is a java class that runs INSIDE THE SERVER. Very much like mod_perl. a java servlet may not be as fast as mod_perl (no real good tests that I have seen so far comparing the two) but it is DEFINITELY faster than CGI. CGI is slow. Okay I promise, thats the last time I'll say that. anyhow, servlets handle each call as a different thread. this is very efficient.
there is a LOT to java you obviously have no clue about. and a lot to perl, considering the fact you are under then impression that CGI is being used by big companies.
Ok, on to big companies. Big companies are using specialized servers with very fast things built into them to run things. Things like mod_perl, servlets, jsp (java server pages.. another great technology), and server specific extensions. hp and other big companies use java for their work. the objects being created are VERY business centered and high quality. The same cannot be said about many of the CPAN modules.
ok, lets recap
2) perl is not CGI. cgi is slow--perl can be fast. the two are not linked..
3) big companies use java a lot for production work. perl is used a lot for low traffic things.
4) im not going to judge which is better--both perl and java are very powerful languages. mod_perl is a must for perl web work. servlets are what would be used for java web work. java is NOT a client side language. java CAN be used on the client and it CAN be used on the server.
5) there is nothing wrong with learning another language. it helps your programming skills and makes you more valuable
6) [irrelevant comment snipped]
well hope that helped.
[This message has been edited by Admin (edited 09-01-2000).]